As Seattleites react to Buoy, the Kraken’s new mascot, we were curious to know what the overall consensus is.
Earlier this week, the Kraken revealed their new mascot Buoy. According to the team, Buoy is a blue-haired sea troll inspired by Seattle’s famous Fremont Troll.
Read on to hear what Seattleites really think of our newest mascot!
Some were fans:
- “Perfect, couldn’t be any better, 100% worth the wait.”
- “Cute!!” (This Seattleite added that they “don’t understand the ears.”)
- “I love him.”
- “Love that it has local story/relevance, unlike many. Ahem, Mariner Moose.”
Others were less enthusiastic with their praise:
- “It’s the Fremont troll personified 🤭 I’m not a fan, but hopefully they have a good personality.”
- “He’s definitely made for the kids.”
Some wished that Buoy was more like the mythical sea creature after which the team is named:
- “Why isn’t it an actual kraken?”
- “Looks too friendly to be a kraken.”
- “We should have a mascot that looks like Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean.”
- “It doesn’t resemble or represent a kraken whatsoever…”
- “I don’t get it. What does a Troll have to do with a Kraken? Marketing needs to go back to the drawing board.”
- “That’s the weirdest looking squid I’ve ever seen.”
- “I want something scarier / more hardcore.”
And some Seattleites were frank about their displeasure:
- “Very Disneyfied. Bleh.”
- “Looks like a Troll Doll”
- “Off brand cereal mascot troll.”
- “Scary gremlin.”
- “I’m from Seattle, I get [the] nod to Fremont Troll but Buoy is more Jewel Belly troll than City troll.”
- “Off the mark.”
Overall, the online reaction to Buoy seemed to be one of disappointment. No one tell him, though. Buoy seems to be having a great time in the Emerald City so far.